Making Security Affordable

Advanced Security Products Inc.

You should Consult with your Security Professional. Without an On-Site survey, and discussing your concerns, there is no way to know how many cameras you need.

Frequently Asked Questions

The trend is to use color Cameras these days. The color cameras make clearer identification than B/W ones. But, in a low light condition like in 0.1 lux, you may need B/W cameras because they generally require lower illumination. Some expensive color cameras have low lux illumination.

  Should I purchase B/W or color cameras?

How many cameras do I need?

Outdoor Cameras are a great deterrent to prevent Crime. Most criminals will look over a home or business and determine their chances of getting caught at that Location. If you have Cameras and your neighbor doesn’t, they are an easier Target . Their chances of getting caught at your neighbor are less and so they will generally choose your neighbor.

Do I need outdoor camera?

Phone: 435-635-4706

Fax: 435-635-9883


Economically commercialized infrared cameras, some of them are also water- resistant to be installed outdoor, can see up to 240 ft distance in total darkness. If you need to see farther, you may need professional infrared illuminators but they are usually expensive and complicated to install due to its emission of heat. Infrared cameras work as ordinary video camera during daytime. Most color infrared cameras work as B/W ones at night. Minimum illumination for most B/W cameras is 0.1 lux so you do not necessarily need infrared cameras or illuminators if there is some kind of lighting.

Do I need infrared camera to see in total darkness?

Wireless system are convenient and avoid cabling works, but are affected  by high voltage power lines nearby, unseen radio waves, metal walls and others things. Some wireless system goes up to 300ft and others up to 700ft.(It varies depending on the booster inside the transmitter and you can not change it without permission from FCC.) Wireless cameras can also be viewed by anyone with a receiver in range. Coaxial cable is conventional in this field and proper for professional cameras. It goes up to 450ft without losing the picture quality. Cat 5 can go more than 1000 ft and can handle multiple cameras. Multiple wires like DIN carries not only video but also audio and power. It can be extended up to 250ft.

What is the best type of video transmission: wireless, coaxial, Cat 5, or multiple wires (DIN)?

A 2.8mm lens will give close to a 92° view but not a lot of detail. The higher the mm number, the closer the object you are watching will appear and will have greater detail. Wide angles like 92° can cover more area but it may show a little distorted pictures.

What lens do I need for my Camera?

A standalone DVR is usually less expensive, less built-in features and lower frame rate per second (FPS), which translated to poorer images quality then the PC-Based DVR system. the positive side is that standalone DVR is easy to use like a tranditional VCR recorder.  For power user, PC-Based DVR gives you better display/recording pictures quality and a lot more features and usually expandable.

Should  I purchase a standalone DVR or computer based DVR surveillance system?

Most DVR’s have the ability to control Pan, Tilt, and Zoom functions.

Do I need Pan, Tilt and/or Zoom control?

Better, let professional installers do the work for motion detection and alarm because, in many cases, the motion sensors are trouble makers. But, in digital video recording system, where the motion detectable area can be assigned over the computer monitor, motion detection is simple and easy.

Do I need motion detection? And, alarms?

Conventional Time Lapse VCR, are inconvenient to review and the more times you record on a VHS Tape the worse the picture gets. DVR’s are popular for its convenience to search video clips and export files and picture quality. When you figure in the cost of a MUX, Time Lapse VCR, VHS Tapes, Time to change the tapes, and storage of the tapes, DVR’s actually save you money.

Do I need to record the pictures? On conventional Time Lapse VCR or DVR  (Digital Video Recorder)?

Almost all Digital Video Recorder (DVR) and Time Lapse VCR have a built-in time/date generator. Many observation systems, which come with professional monitor and multiple cameras with DIN cables, have a built-in time & date generator. But, most mini cameras don’t have them and you need one if you want the time & date shown on the monitor. It is to be connected between the camera and the monitor with RCA in and out jacks.

Do I need time & date generator?

A manual zoom lens of, for example, 3.5 ‘‘ 8.0mm is what you manually adjust angle of view from 3.5mm to 8.0mm. 3.5mm means about 90° of diagonal view angle on 1/3 “ sensor camera and 8.0mm sees about 38°. Auto zoom lens can be adjusted at the control center or from your computer.

Do I need a vari-focal lens?

For professional cameras, the power source is better located close to the camera. You may use 12VDC AC adapter if the camera is installed indoor and if the power outlet is within 5ft. If the professional camera is installed outdoor or the power outlet is located far, you should use 24VAC AC Adapter. For DIN cables, which come with the observation system or mini camera package, the power source can be close to the monitoring site, but the distance from the power source to the camera should be less than 250ft.

Should the power source located close to the camera? Or, should the power be supplied from the monitoring place?

Many CCD video cameras work with 12VDC and if you can connect correct polarity, you can use a battery pack which produce 12VDC. Some wireless cameras have a battery compartment. Or, if you want use it in a car, you may use a “power cord” (easily found at any auto parts shop) which can draw 12VDC through the car cigarette lighter . Again, you should match the polarity.

Do I need battery operated camera?

When you need to send the video image more than 250ft on mini DIN or RCA 17 cable, or 450ft on coaxial cable, you need to use video amplifier. But system cables like large DIN cables cannot be connected to video amplifier because amplifiers usually have RCA in and out connectors. You can also use video amplifier when you want to connect one camera to 2 monitors.

Do I need video amplifier?

Some professional installers prefer Linux-Base DVR because it is not subject to all the Viruses and security issues like its Window counter part. Linux-based DVR’s do not require patching, are maintenance free and zero downtime.  It is 100% dedicated for video surveillance and recording application only. On the other hand, Window-base required update and patching if there is new virus out there.

How to you compare Microsoft Window based PC DVR and Linux Base PC?

Most of the DVR’s have login and password and some with multi-level access control.

Do I need to control the access to the video camera system?

You need to make sure your DVR has a built-in network capability and able to connect either via intranet/internet with remote client software for remote monitoring. Some DVR do not need remote client software to do remote monitoring, it require Internet access with IE browser only. You need to install a network line like DSL or T-1 with a dedicated IP address for your DVR system.  Some better DVRs do support dynamic IP address.

What do I need to install if I need to do offsite or remote monitoring ?